Mango Mastani is a popular drink that emerged from the sprawling city, Pune in Maharashtra, India. It is basically just a thick, creamy and decadent mango milkshake topped with more delicious goodness, like ice cream, cherries, nuts, and dried fruit.
Mango Mastani drink is said to be named after Mastani, a Muslim Princess and the second wife of Maratha Peshwa ruler, Baji Rao.
It’s said that Mastani was one of the most beautiful women in Indian history, she was pretty, graceful and elegant. And that is why this beverage is named so- after the beautiful Princess warrior.
Mango mastani ingredients
This Mango Mastani is not only beautiful and attractive to look at, but is a cinch to make too. To make this mango mastani recipe, you will need,
- Good, sweet, ripe mangoes or mango pulp
- Ice cream
- Some cherries, dried fruits for garnishing
How to make mango milkshake?
You only need a blender to mix up the above ingredients except for the cherries and dried fruits into a golden-hued, gorgeous drink. That’s about it.
I’ve used vanilla bean ice cream, you can see the tiny black specks in the pictures. That added another level of deliciousness to this milkshake. Absolutely yum!
There are various flavors of Mastani beverage such as pista, dry fruit, rose, orange, vanilla, pineapple, chocolate, butterscotch, gulkhand, kesar, strawberry, sitaphal (custard apple), guava mastani etc.
If you happen to find yourself in Pune, you must head to Sujata Mastani at Sadashiv Peth or Gujjar cold drink to enjoy these delicious varieties, especially their popular mango mastani, it is seriously the best!
Well, I still can’t find decent mangoes here, so I’ve made this using canned Alphonso mango pulp, the kind of mangoes that are referred to as the King of mangoes, in India. Having eaten this delicious variety of mango all my life, I can’t help but compare them with mangoes we get in the US.
The mangoes here are so bland, I feel they are best left for a savory dish. The only mangoes that are decent here are the Ataulfo variety. Sometimes, though, they look good on the outside but are a big let down when you cut them 🙁
Here are some more delicious mango beverages/desserts to try
How to make mango mastani at home – Step by step instructions
1.Add 2 cups of mango pulp or pieces, 1 tablespoon sweetener of choice, 1/2 cup milk, two ice cream scoops, and 5-6 ice cubes, in a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. If it is too thick, add the remaining 1/4 cup milk and blend again.
2.To serve- Add some chopped mango pieces at the bottom of the serving glass, add a scoop of ice cream, pour the prepared mango shake. Top off with one more scoop of ice cream, glazed cherry and sliced nut or/and tutti frutti (candied fruit). Enjoy this delicious mango mastani drink!
1.Chill the mangoes or mango pulp before making this milkshake and skip the ice cubes completely.
2.I have not used any kind of sweetener, as I used sweetened canned mango pulp.
★ If you try this Mango mastani recipe, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Feel free to share your feedback and suggestions at [email protected] Thanks so much 🙂
Pune's Mango Mastani | Thick Mango Milkshake With Ice Cream
Measuring cup used, 1 Cup = 250 ml, 1 tsp = 5 ml
- 2 cups chopped mango or mango pulp
- 1 tbsp sweetener of choice, optional, add depending on the sweetness of the mangoes
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chilled whole milk
- 6 scoops of vanilla or mango ice cream
- 2 tbsp chopped mango pieces
- 2 glazed cherries, for garnish
- 2 tsp sliced nuts of choice, for garnish
- 1 tbsp tutti-frutti (candied fruit) or dried fruits, for garnish
- 5-6 ice cubes, optional
- Add the mango pulp or pieces, sweetener, 1/2 cup milk, two ice cream scoops, and ice cubes, if using in a blender. Blend until smooth and creamy. If it is too thick, add the remaining 1/4 cup milk and blend again.
- To serve- Add some chopped mango pieces at the bottom of the serving glass, add a scoop of ice cream, pour the prepared mango shake. Top off with one more scoop of ice cream, glazed cherry, and sliced nut or/and tutti frutti (candied fruit).
- Chill the mangoes or mango pulp before making this milkshake and skip the ice cubes completely.
- I have not used any kind of sweetener, as I used sweetened canned mango pulp.