This Mahabaleshwar-style strawberry cream is loaded with layers of lightly sweetened whipped cream, macerated strawberries, strawberry ice cream, and a kiss of strawberry syrup! It not only looks elegant and attractive but is super easy to put together and tastes amazing as well!
Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits, it comes a close second to mangoes! While I’ve enjoyed strawberries all year round in the US, sadly I can’t do that in India, as strawberry season is so short here.
But I’ve already frozen some strawberries to enjoy in recipes like strawberry lassi, strawberry milkshake, strawberry ice cream, oatmeal, and smoothies in the coming months.
I had this luscious strawberry cream for the first time at Mapro Garden during my trip to Panchgani-Mahabaleshwar last November. Mahabaleshwar is a small hill station in Satara district in Maharashtra, famous for its strawberries farms.
I’ve heard a lot about the strawberry cream served at Mapro garden, so I definitely had to try it. And I must say I was pretty impressed at how it looked in that cute serving glass. I knew I was going to try recreating it at home. After all, there’s hardly a recipe to it 😀
Here’s a pic of the actual stuff you’d get at Mapro Garden! Doesn’t it look inviting?
As gorgeous as this dessert looks, it is even simpler to put it all together. Whip up this seasonal treat at home before the strawberries vanish from the market!
Besides, Valentine’s day is around the corner, and I think your loved ones would absolutely enjoy this one!
Table of Contents
Why you will love this?
- Strawberries and whipped cream, hmm…..now who can say no to that? :p
- Easy and fuss-free recipe
- No-cook/no-bake dessert
- Looks attractive and tastes great!
- Minimal ingredients
- Can be made vegan by using non-dairy cream and vegan strawberry ice cream
- The recipe is very adaptable, check out variations listed after the instructions
- Whipped cream and macerated strawberries can be made ahead and refrigerated, assemble just before serving.
Ingredients needed to make this dessert
The good news is that you don’t need to visit Mahabaleshwar all the time to enjoy this yummy treat. You can easily make it at home and to do that you will need to gather the following ingredients;
Strawberries: Of course! I suggest using fresh strawberries here.
Whipped cream: I’ve used non-dairy cream. Any regular heavy whipping cream with a minimum of 35% fat will work and in fact tastes even better than non-dairy cream.
Strawberry ice cream: About a scoop each per serving. But you can definitely add as many scoops as you fancy :p
Strawberry syrup: Adds more strawberry flavor!
Castor sugar: You’ll need to add sugar to macerate the strawberries and also to sweeten the whipped cream
Pink food color: Completely optional and can be avoided.
How to make Mahabaleshwar-style strawberry cream – Step by step process
Step 1: Macerate the strawberries
Place1 cup of sliced strawberries in a bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of sugar, mix well, cover, and set aside for 10-15 minutes, while you prepare the whipped cream. (Photos 1 to 3)
Step 2: Prepare the whipped cream
Place 1/2 cup of chilled whipping cream in a big bowl. Add 1 tablespoon of castor sugar, and few drops of pink food color. (Photos 4 to 6)
Beat on high speed until stiff peaks form. (Photos 7 to 9)
If using dairy whipping cream, do not overbeat, or else the cream will separate into butter and buttermilk.
Transfer the cream to a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle (Wilton 1M). This is purely for presentation purposes. You can use a ziplock bag, transfer the cream and snip off a corner to pipe the cream. (Photos 10 and 11)
Step 3: Assemble
Drizzle 1 teaspoon of strawberry syrup into the serving glass and swirl it around to create a random pattern. (Photo 12)
Next, pipe some whipped cream at the bottom of the glass (Photo 13), followed by half of the macerated strawberries (Photo14), a scoop of strawberry ice cream (Photo15), a teaspoon of strawberry syrup (Photo16), and finally some more whipped cream and a teaspoon of strawberry syrup (Photo 17). Repeat the same to make another serving. Serve immediately!
A mix of berries: You can use a combination of other berries like raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries.
Make a strawberry compote: Make a compote with fresh strawberries and use that in place of macerated strawberries. During the off-season, use frozen strawberries to make the compote.
Keep it lighter: To make this homemade strawberry cream dessert lighter, swap the cream with Greek yogurt, sweeten it with honey, agave nectar, or stevia for a sugar-free version.
Use custard instead of cream: You can also make strawberry flavored custard with the readymade strawberry custard powder. If you are in the US, you can make strawberry pudding with the instant strawberry pudding mix, and use that instead of the whipped cream.
This dessert is really versatile, and you can adapt it to your liking. Though I highly suggest trying it the way it is first, it is so good!
More strawberry recipes
Strawberry topping for cheesecake
★ Did you enjoy this easy Indian style strawberry cream recipe? If you happen to try it out, I would love to hear from you! I’d appreciate it if you could rate and leave a review below in the comments. Your reviews help others know the recipe better too. Thanks so much 🙂
You can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram & Twitter
Strawberry Cream (Mahabaleshwar-Style)
For the macerated strawberries
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon castor sugar
For the whipped cream
- 1/2 cup chilled whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon castor sugar
- Few drops of pink or red food color
- 2 scoops of strawberry ice cream store-bought or homemade
- 2 tablespoons of strawberry syrup
- Place sliced strawberries in a bowl. Add castor sugar, mix well, cover, and set aside for 10-15 minutes, while you prepare the whipped cream.
- Place chilled whipping cream in a big bowl. Add castor sugar, and few drops of pink food color, beat on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Transfer the cream to a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle (Wilton 1M).
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon of strawberry syrup into the serving glass and swirl it around to create a random pattern.
- Next, pipe some whipped cream at the bottom of the glass, followed by half of the macerated strawberries, a teaspoon of strawberry syrup, a scoop of strawberry ice cream, and finally, some more whipped cream.
- Repeat the same to make another serving. Serve immediately!
Wow. So sweet strawberry ice cream. Good recipe. I like.
Freda Dias says
Thank you, Barkat 🙂
Chef Mimi says
Wow! That is gorgeous! And your photos are prettier than at the restaurant.
Freda Dias says
Thanks so much 😊