This Watermelon Cucumber Feta Salad with mint and basil has an amazing balance of sweet and savory flavors, making it a perfect summer salad! It is light, refreshing, cool and the sweet and salty flavors complement each other really well.
If you are looking for watermelon recipes this summer, you should try this easy Watermelon Salad recipe. This watermelon cucumber salad with feta makes for a simple yet awesome side dish, that is really easy to put together and yet one that will land you loads of compliments!
Crisp, sweet and refreshing watermelon, cooling cucumber, salty and creamy feta, the tang from the lemon and the fresh mint and sweet basil all marry together to make this wonderfully delicious summer salad.
Serve this salad as a side with your favorite protein and you have a delicious meal! Or make some for your next barbecue party!
You can customize this Watermelon Cucumber Feta Salad as you like. There are a couple of variations you can adapt using this as a base. Skip the onions if you don’t like them, or add other herbs, cilantro, perhaps?
You can add nuts for some crunch. Skip the cucumber and basil to make a watermelon feta mint salad, or skip the basil to make a watermelon cucumber mint salad. This salad is best served right away as it can get watery if left to sit for too long. So scale the recipe as per your requirement to avoid any wastage.
If you know me, you know I don’t prefer much of salads. There are very few fresh salad recipes up my alley like this zero oil zesty mung sprouts and corn salad, Caprese salad, chickpea salad with Greek yogurt dressing, spinach salad with strawberries and feta, classic Greek salad, and my recent favorite, Mediterranean quinoa and chickpea salad, amongst a few.
But I love this summer watermelon salad for its sweet and salty flavor profile, something about a mix of the ingredients that makes the watermelon taste even sweeter! .Do try this combination if you haven’t yet. And if you already have, I’d love to know the variations you use, I’d like to try those too 🙂
Let’s make some yummy Watermelon Cucumber Feta Salad with mint and basil!
Table of Contents
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE WATERMELON CUCUMBER FETA SALAD
1.In a small bowl, add olive oil, lime/lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper, whisk well to combine. You can also add some zest of the lime or lemon.
2.In a large bowl, add watermelon, cucumber, onion, mint, and basil leaves. Pour the dressing over the watermelon salad and toss gently to combine.
3.Sprinkle the salad with crumbled feta cheese, and serve right away.
- This salad is best served chilled. I cut the watermelon cubes, and place them in a colander over a bowl covered in the refrigerator. This helps in draining excess juices, so you have a chilled salad that can be served right away.
- You may skip/add ingredients, to make different variations to suit your palate.
- If you like more dressing in your salad, feel free to double the dressing recipe.
- If you do not like using raw onions directly in the salad, you may submerge the thinly sliced onions in cold water for 15 minutes, this will remove the pungency of the onions. Drain the water and use as directed in the recipe.
HOW TO MAKE WATERMELON CUCUMBER FETA SALAD?
Watermelon Cucumber Feta Salad | Watermelon Salad
Measuring cup used, 1 Cup = 250 ml, 1 tsp = 5 ml
- 5 cups seeded and diced watermelon, about 1-inch* (Refer notes)
- 1 English cucumber, approx 2 cups diced cucumber
- 1/3 cup sliced red onions
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, or as desired
- 1/4 cup loosely packed mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves, chopped
For the dressing
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Lime/lemon juice
- 1/2 tbsp honey optional
- Pinch of salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly cracked pepper
- In a small bowl, add olive oil, lime/lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper, whisk well to combine.
- In a large bowl, add watermelon, cucumber, onion, mint, and basil leaves. Pour the dressing over the watermelon salad and toss gently to combine.
- Sprinkle the salad with crumbled feta cheese, and serve right away.
PIN IT FOR LATER
I would love to hear from you, please feel free to share your feedback with photos and suggestions to me at [email protected]
You can also follow me on :
Facebook @ Aromaticessence
Pinterest @ Aromatic Essence
Instagram @ aromatic_essence77
Twitter @ freda_dias