Vermicelli Idli recipe with step-by-step pictures. This vermicelli idli is quick and delicious, sure to please kids and adults alike. Learn how to make this easy idli recipe which makes for a tasty vegetarian breakfast option.
Vermicelli is something that I always have in my pantry. We love vermicelli kheer/payasam, that I make once a month at least. Semiya upma | sevai upma is another common breakfast dish in my house. Besides that, we also enjoy making the dry version of vermicelli sweet to have some along with our evening tea.
This vermicelli idli is like an instant idli, doesn’t taste like the real idli, but looks great and taste just as good. In a nutshell, this is like a steamed cake version of vermicelli upma.
I first saw this on my FB foodie group, posted by Shobana ji who blogs at Cooking with Shobana, I knew I had to try this out immediately!
Like most things that I dilly dally, in terms of trying out several of the recipes that interest me, having bookmarked like a million (okay not million, but you get it, don’t you?) I tried these soon enough!
It’s one of my favorite items to have on the breakfast/brunch menu or a light dinner. Moreover, my son liked it too, and if he does then I know that recipe is a keeper and ought to be repeated often. Just makes life so much simpler when you see your little one enjoy something 🙂
Next time, I intend trying this recipe using ragi semiya. I guess it would be equally good.
Vermicelli is such a great source of carbohydrates, and when combined with yogurt you get your dose of proteins as well. Addition of veggies boosts the fiber and nutritional value of this healthy and quick idli. Plus don’t you think they look attractive and inviting for the little ones?
They won’t even know they had a wholesome meal thinking they ate something fancy! Vermicelli idli is also a good option to pack for your child’s school tiffin box. Do try it out guys, I’m sure it will end up on your favorites list too 🙂
Table of Contents
STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE VERMICELLI IDLI
1.In a bowl, add the yogurt, grated carrot, salt to taste, finely chopped green chillies, grated ginger and mix well. Keep aside. Since I was making it for my son, I skipped the chillies.
4.After 10-15 minutes, add in the chopped cilantro, mix well.
5.Grease the idli moulds with a drop of oil and spoon the yogurt vermicelli mixture into each mould.
7.Switch off the gas and allow the pressure to settle down. Remove the idlis with the help of a butter knife. They come off very easily. Serve it hot with chutney of your choice. I served with tomato chutney. You can find the recipe here. You can also serve this vermicelli idli | semiya idli with coconut coriander chutney.
HOW TO MAKE VERMICELLI IDLI | SEMIYA IDLI?
Vermicelli Idli | Instant Semiya Idli Recipe | Steamed Savory Vermicelli Cakes
Measuring cup used, 1 Cup = 250 ml, 1 tsp = 5 ml
- 2 cups unroasted Vermicelli
- 1 cup yogurt
- 3 nos. green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp cilantro (dhania) leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp chana dal
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt to taste
- In a bowl, add the yogurt, grated carrot, salt to taste, finely chopped green chillies, grated ginger and mix well. Keep aside. Since I was making it for my son, I skipped the chillies.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When it splutters, add chana dal and when it changes colour, add the vermicelli and roast till it is golden brown.
- Add the roasted vermicelli to the yogurt mix while it is still hot. Mix well and leave it to aside for 10 -15 minutes.
- After 10-15 minutes, add in the chopped cilantro, mix well.
- Grease the idli moulds with a drop of oil and spoon the yogurt vermicelli mixture into each mould.
- Steam the idlis in the idli steamer or pressure cooker without the weight for 12 minutes.
- Switch off the gas and allow the pressure to settle down. Remove the idlis with the help of a butter knife. They come off very easily. Serve it hot with chutney of your choice. I served with tomato chutney. You can find the recipe here. You can also serve this vermicelli idli | semiya idli with coconut coriander chutney.
PIN IT FOR LATER
I would love to hear from you , please feel free to share your feedback with photos and suggestions to me at [email protected]
You can also follow me on :
Facebook @ Aromaticessence
Pinterest @ Aromatic Essence
Instagram @ aromatic_essence77
Thanks for stopping by!