When I think of keema, the first thing that comes to my mind is keema pav ( a kind of unsweetened dinner roll stuffed with the seasoned minced meat mixture )
For this week’s recipe challenge contest , the ingredient chosen by Lina is minced meat . I decided to prepare this classic keema matar , but in a different gravy base , not the way it’s most commonly prepared ! I decided on the green masala base,also known as cafreal masala in Goa, a very fragrant masala, consisting of cilantro and spices along with ginger , garlic , tamarind and green chillies ! This Goan masala is so versatile , it even makes a simple chicken curry taste out the world ! Vegetarians can substitute soy granules/TVP, although I’ve never tried a vegetarian version, I’m sure it will taste just as good:)
Let’s make some keema matar 🙂
1 pound of minced meat
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 cup frozen peas
salt to taste
pinch of sugar
For the green masala
A bunch of cilantro
Green chillies, as per desired heat
6 garlic cloves
1/2 inch piece of ginger
1 inch of cinnamon
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
small ball of tamarind/ lime juice
- Make the green masala paste: Grind all the ingredients mentioned under the green masala, with about 1/4 cup water to a smooth paste.
- Heat oil on medium low heat in a skillet, saute the chopped onions until translucent.
- Add the green masala paste, and continue sauteing on medium heat, until most of the moisture is lost, the masala will change color. ( Refer pic)
- Now add the minced meat, mix it well with the masala, cook until the meat changes color.
- Now add about 1/2 cup water, frozen peas, salt and a pinch of sugar. Let it simmer for the next 10 minutes, until the fat separates.Check for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Serve it hot with rice/ dinner rolls/ chapati along with some lime wedges and sliced onions.
If you do wish to participate in this challenge, Click here and add your link mentioned in the post.
Have a beautiful week ahead 🙂