Fried rice is probably one of the most popular Indo- Chinese dishes. I’m sure every Chinese food lover must have had it at least once in their lifetime. It’s quick to put together although you need to have your ingredients prepped!
The key to a good fried rice lies in the rice itself. I prefer to cook the rice a couple of hours earlier and let it cool completely. In fact, if you have leftover rice, that would work great as well ! Traditionally, any stir fry is prepared on high heat, now that is fine if you have an iron wok. Since I used a non-stick wok, I’ve maintained medium heat throughout, as non-stick pans tend to leach chemicals into food at high temperatures.
Fried rice can be served as a one pot meal just by adding any proteins of your choice or as a side to any Indo-Chinese based gravies. It’s truly versatile! Here is how I’ve learnt to make it from my mum, she doesn’t use ginger garlic nor the chilli sauce , but I’ve used it since I prefer it’s flavors.
3 cups cooked Basmati rice
1/2 cup colored bell peppers/ green bell pepper julienne’s ( capsicum)
1/2 cup carrot julienne’s
1/2 cup red onions, sliced thinly / white part of scallions ( spring onions )
2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon chilli sauce
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine vinegar/ white vinegar
1 & 1/2 inch ginger, finely minced
2 big garlic cloves, finely minced
salt and pepper
Handful of finely chopped scallions ( green part)
1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Slice all the veggies and keep them ready. Finely mince the ginger and garlic and set them aside. Make sure the rice is ready before you start anything.
- In a wok, heat oil, add minced ginger and garlic, saute until fragrant.
- Next, add the veggies, a tiny pinch of salt ( as the sauces already have salt) & about 1/4 teaspoon black pepper , saute on medium heat for about a minute.
- Add the soy sauce, ketchup, chilli sauce & vinegar.Mix it well.
- Now add the cooked rice, little at a time, mix gently to incorporate with the veggies. Stir fry the rice for another minute.
- Finally sprinkle some finely chopped scallion greens ( spring onions). Switch off the heat. Serve hot. This goes great with some sweet and sour chicken.
- You can make a non vegetarian version, by adding any protein of your choice. Saute boiled meat pieces before adding the veggies.
- You can add more vegetables to this, like cabbage, celery , peas, french beans etc.
- You can also add scrambled eggs just before adding the chopped scallions to make it an egg fried rice.
I would love to hear from you , please feel free to share your feedback with photos and suggestions to me at firstname.lastname@example.org