Potato chops are savory potato patty stuffed with seasoned meat.These are served as appetizers or even as side to a main course in most Goan weddings, parties and festivities. Minced beef is usually the filling of choice when it comes to potato chops, but you can use any other fillings of choice too, such as chicken , shrimps/ prawns etc . For a vegetarian version, the filling can be made of soya or mixed vegetables, there are tonnes of options to customize it as per your taste. The potato stuffed patty is then dipped in beaten egg and coated with semolina, for a crisp exterior and then fried. Instead of semolina , I used whole wheat Japanese panko breadcrumbs, I love it’s light and crunchy coating, also it tends to stay crispier for a longer time!
Today I am sharing with you readers, Shrimp or prawn potato chops, as I’ve learnt from my mum. Its a delightful treat, the procedure is quite simple but just a tad labor intensive, But I guarantee you they are totally worth it 🙂
4 medium sized Yukon gold potatoes
1 cup finely chopped red onion
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cup shrimps , cleaned and deveined, cut into small pieces , marinated with salt for about 15 minutes
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons red chilly powder/ cayenne pepper ( adjust as per desired heat )
1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
handful of cilantro, chopped
2 tablespoons oil
salt to taste
For coating and frying:
1 medium egg, lightly beaten, seasoned with salt
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs/semolina
Vegetable oil, as required for frying
- Pressure cook the potatoes with sufficient water, on medium heat (about 4 whistles) until fork tender. Set aside.
- Heat oil in you skillet , on medium heat, add chopped red onion, saute until translucent.
- Next add the chopped tomatoes, saute until they are a little mushy.
- Add the chopped shrimps, and saute for another minute.
- Add the turmeric and chilly powder, and saute on medium low heat for another 2 minutes.Season with more salt if required. ( Add accordingly, since the shrimps have already been marinated with salt)
- Add about 1/4 cup water and tomato ketchup, cook till the water evaporates, and the mixture looks dry.
- Add chopped cilantro and mix well. Switch of the heat.
- Grate the boiled potatoes .
- Mash them nicely to form a dough, take a handful of this dough, make a lemon sized ball .
- Flatten it a bit and put about 1 tablespoon of the prepared shrimp mixture in the center, seal the mixture , and form a smooth patty.
- Dip it in beaten egg, then coat with breadcrumbs. Similarly make all the potato chops and keep them on a plate. Set aside to refrigerate for 10 -15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a skillet on medium heat, shallow fry the potato chops in batches, until golden brown on both sides , transfer to a plate lined with tissue paper to drain off excess oil. Serve hot with a dip of your choice.
- Sometimes, my Mum substitutes the turmeric and chilly powder with Goan rechado masala instead, that too is a delicious option.
So do try this deliciousness, and If you do, would love to know your feedback.
Have a wonderful week 🙂