Tres leches cake, also known as three milk cake, is a dense and moist cake topped with whipped cream. So what makes this cake super moist? It’s pretty simple, Tres leches , that is combination of three milk products- condensed milk, evaporated milk and heavy cream or whole milk. You will be surprised how the cakes soaks up that quantity of liquid, this cake is like a really big sponge soaking up all that sweet milk goodness and the end product- An ambrosial treat! You have to try this , to understand what I’m trying to say!!
I had this for the first time at a Mexican restaurant, I had heard so much about this, that I had to try it. I have to admit that it was the most amazing cake I have ever had!
Thanks Loretta for sharing this fabulous recipe 🙂
Recipe courtesy: Loretta@ Safari of the mind
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 whole eggs
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 can Evaporated milk
- 1 can Sweetened, Condensed milk
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
For the Icing
- 1 pint Heavy Cream for whipping
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 inch pan liberally until coated. ( I used a 9 inch springform pan )
- In a bowl,combine flour, baking powder and salt. Separate the yolks from the egg whites , set aside.
- Beat egg yolks with 3/4th cup sugar on high speed, until the yolk sugar mixture is pale yellow. Stir in milk and vanilla. Pour the prepared egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and stir very gently until well combined.
4. Beat the egg whites on high speed until it forms stiff peaks, with the mixer on, pour the remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beat until the egg whites are stiff but not dry.
5.Fold egg white mixture into the batter very gently until just combined. Pour into prepared pan and spread to even out the surface.
6.Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the cake out on a wire rack and allow to cool.
7.Combine condensed milk, evaporated milk and heavy cream in a small pitcher. When cake is cool, pierce the surface with a fork several times.Slowly drizzle the milk mixture – try to get as much around the edges of the cake as you can, as the edges can get pretty dry.
8.Allow the cake to absorb the milk mixture for about 30 minutes.To ice the cake, whip 1 pint heavy cream with 3 tablespoons sugar until thick and spreadable. Spread over the surface of the cake. Decorate cake with cherries/ berries or chocolate shavings.Cut into desired size and serve.