So off late I’ve been binging on so much of sweet stuff, that it has actually made me sick, well not literally, if you know what I mean. My palate was craving for something spicy, so today I made myself this spicy mushroom Pulao. I love Pulao as a rice preparation, it’s simple, moreover quick to put everything together, the only prep work needed is chopping the veggies, which frankly isn’t that big a deal anyway.
This pulao satiated my tummy, and my palate to the fullest:)
1 cup Basmati rice
3 1/2 to 4 cup of cleaned and chopped mushrooms
2 tablespoons ghee/oil
2 bay leaves
3 green cardamom
1 star anise
1 inch cinnamon
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
1 cup thinly sliced onions
1 cup of chopped tomatoes
Handful of a mixture of finely chopped cilantro and mint leaves
1 vegetable stock cube
1 teaspoon chilly powder/cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon Garam masala
1/2 tablespoon cumin coriander powder
Salt to taste
1. Wash and soak the rice , for a minimum of 30 minutes, keep aside.
2. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat ghee/oil, add the whole spices snd sauté until fragrant.
6.Immediately add chopped tomatoes , cook until the tomatoes are a little mushy.
8. Now add the chopped mushrooms, increase the heat to medium , keep stirring occasionally until most of the moisture is lost from the mushrooms , about 7-10 minutes.
9.Add the chilly powder, Garam masala, cumin coriander powder, mix for a minute on low heat to avoid burning the dry spices.
10. Add the soaked and drained rice, mix gently for a minute taking care not to break the rice grains.
11.Add 2 cups of water , stir everything gently. Check for seasoning , the vegetable stock cube already has salt, so add salt accordingly if needed. ( I added a pinch of salt )
12.Cover with a lid, let the Pulao cook on low heat, takes about 10 minutes.
13. Once the rice is done, gently fluff it with a fork.
14.It goes well with a simple onion tomato raita.
1. Feel free to increase/decrease the chilly powder to suit your spice tolerance.
2. You can also add 2 to 3 green chillies, Slit lengthwise ,along with the onions while sauteing to make it more spicy.
Have a lovely weekend 🙂