I’m not really a fan of mushrooms, but do buy them occasionally with no plan of executing a certain recipe. I see them, I end up buying them!
Today I was in an experimental mood, I thought I should experiment with a stuffing for the mushrooms, I finalized on using soy granules/ TVP and one thing led to another. The result was fantastic, it was extremely delicious and moist. This is a healthy dish , packed with proteins in abundance, I bet you won’t miss meat.
Here’s how I made ’em.
About 12 fresh mushrooms
1 cup soy granules/TVP
1 small onion, chopped finely , about 3/4 cup
1 small tomato, chopped, about 1/2 cup
1/4 cup mixed bell peppers/ green bell pepper
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon finely minced /paste of ginger
1 teaspoon finely minced/paste of garlic
1 teaspoon chilly powder/ cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoon tomato ketchup
1 tablespoon olive oil + more to drizzle
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella /cheddar cheese
1. Pre heat oven to 375 degrees F
2.Wipe the mushrooms with a clean kitchen towel, remove the stems( chop finely and reserve) , discard the brown gills gently by scooping it out with the help of a spoon
3.Add 1 cup soy granules in 3 cups of water along with 1/2 teaspoon salt , bring to a boil, Drain in a colander and squeeze out excess moisture from the soy granules OR Cook as per package intsructions.
4.In a pan , heat olive oil on medium heat, add the cumin seeds and let it crackle.
5. Once the cumin seeds crackle, add onions and saute on medium low heat for about half a minute,
6.Add ginger- garlic, saute til the raw aroma of ginger garlic goes.
7.Add the bell peppers and chopped tomatoes, and saute on medium low heat for another half a minute. ( we do no want to make them mushy.)
8.Add the chopped mushroom stems, add 1/2 teaspoon salt and saute till the mushroom releases its moisture.
9.Add soy granules, mix well.
10. Add chilly powder/cayenne pepper, garam masala, roast the spices well, abut half a minute.
11. Add the tomato ketchup, mix.
12. Lastly add chopped cilantro and mix well. Check for seasoning. The stuffing is ready.
13. Stuff enough mixture into each mushroom cap,drizzle all over with some olive oil ,top with shredded cheese, transfer to a baking pan lined with aluminum foil/parchment paper lightly sprayed with oil .
14.Bake for about 15- 20 minutes until mushrooms are cooked and tender.Transfer to a wire rack, serve hot.
1. Feel free to experiment with different flavors, you could use your creativity, add different herbs, veggies to suit your palate.